The New Raw-Plastic Workshop
The ‘The New Raw-Plastic’ investigates in the capacity of digital fabrication techniques to provide a sustainable solution to the plastic waste in Syros.
27 participants where invited tot he greek island to observe and experience the conditions of the plastic waste treatment. They are experts from the fields of industrial design, architecture, fine arts and enviromentalism were introduced to the production technique of 3D printing and circular economy methodologies.
They came up with five concepts:
- Pet for Pets, 3D prited house in the shape of a shell to provide shelter for straycats.
- Bottle up, a recycling system which rewards children with a personal piece from a large 3D printed puzzle.
- Re_stool, compresses plastic waste by using the energy of the simple everyday action of sitting
- ReCYCLAD3D, 3D cinema glasses made from recycled plastic materials.
- Missing part, a construction material for building cracks.
The Three dimensions
Enviroment, ‘The New Raw-Plastic’ provides a sustainable solution to plastic waste. The concepts are local so there is no need for transport.
Social, ‘The New Raw-Plastic’ starts with collaborations between participants from different field in design, art, architecture and enviromentalism. Also the project ‘Bottle up’ is a great way to provide more social interaction in the neighbourhood. They involve communities.
Economic, ‘The New Raw-plastic’ is based on circular economy methodologies. They recycle plastic waste to realize their projects.